Breaking News
  • February 1AMI Days Left: 1
  • February 1New Policy Plan Discussed at Most Recent Board Meeting: Academies on Table, Timeline Planned
  • February 1Auditions Held for JHS Theater Production of Xanadu
  • February 1Don't Forget: 1/2 Day on Valentine's Day
  • February 1In-School Varsity Boys Game Moved to Later in Day
The Student News Site of Joplin High School

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

Taylor Swift’s 4th Re-Recording Stuns Listeners

On October 27, 2023, Taylor Swift released 1989 (Taylor’s Version). This is a re-recording of her fifth album, and it is just as good, if not better, than the first time she released it. Many people may be wondering why she is rerecording her first six albums. Here’s everything you need to know. 

ICYMI: Big Machine Records, who Swift has been with since 2005, sold their label to Ithaca, Scooter Braun’s company, for $300 million. Braun is best known for managing major celebrities such as Kanye West, Justin Bieber, Demi Lovato, Ariana Grande, and many more. As a part of this deal, they gained control of Swift’s first six albums titled, “Taylor Swift,” “Fearless,” “Speak Now,” “Red,” “1989,” and “Reputation.” Over a year later, Braun sold the rights to those six albums. 

Swift later made a post to Tumblr stating: “For years I asked, pleaded for a chance to own my work. Instead, I was given an opportunity to sign back up to Big Machine Records and ‘earn’ one album back at a time, one for every new one I turned in. I walked away because I knew once I signed that contract, Scott Borchetta would sell the label, thereby selling me and my future.” 

Swift was not told about this news privately. Instead, she found out with the rest of the world online. “All I could think about was the incessant, manipulative bullying I’ve received at his hands for years,” she wrote. Because Swift no longer had rights to these six albums, she decided she would re-record them.

As of November 2023, Swift only has “Reputation” and “Taylor Swift” left to re-release. According to Swift’s fans, all she has left to claim is her name and her reputation. By adding (Taylor’s Version) next to the song title, it means she owns it. Fans are no longer streaming the original versions of Swift’s songs, as Braun would be earning money from those streams. Additionally, the re-releases include songs that didn’t make the original album. These are called vault tracks. 

1989 was Swift’s first pop album and was named after her birth year. If you listen to the album,  it is very obvious that many of these songs are about her then-boyfriend, Harry Styles, former One Direction member. The album’s third track is even titled “Style.” Although many of the songs are about her romance with Styles, 1989 is not only about being in love, it’s about having friendship and not worrying about boys. 

As this album came out, Swift released cassettes, CDs, and even vinyl records. There are 5 different color options: pink, blue, green, yellow, and tangerine. She also released other merchandise like hoodies, sweatshirts, pajamas, phone cases, hats, umbrellas, tote bags, and so much more. You can also buy the digital album or listen to it wherever you stream your music. 

Donate to SpyGlass

Your donation will support the student journalists of Joplin High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.