Breaking News
  • February 1AMI Days Left: 1
  • February 1New Policy Plan Discussed at Most Recent Board Meeting: Academies on Table, Timeline Planned
  • February 1Auditions Held for JHS Theater Production of Xanadu
  • February 1Don't Forget: 1/2 Day on Valentine's Day
  • February 1In-School Varsity Boys Game Moved to Later in Day
The Student News Site of Joplin High School

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

‘Friends’ star, Matthew Perry, dies at 54

On October 28, 2023, Matthew Perry died in his Los Angeles home at the age of 54. Perry was best known for his role as Chandler Bing in the hit sitcom ‘Friends’. He acted in other movies and shows such as 17 Again, Fools Rush In, a reboot of The Odd Couple, and many more. 

It was confirmed on the day of his death, a 911 call was placed around 4:07 saying he was unresponsive in his jacuzzi. No drugs or alcohol were found on the scene. It was said that the cause of death was an “apparent drowning” however, we will not know for quite some time what caused this. 

Many of Perry’s co-workers from the set of Friends are mourning the loss of their beloved friend. 

Paul Rudd, who plays Phoebe’s husband Mike Hannigan on the sitcom made a post stating: 

“Words can’t express how saddened I am to hear of Matthew’s passing. You will be missed so so dearly.”

Maggie Wheeler, who played Chandler’s Girlfriend Janice on the show also made a post stating: “What a loss. The world will miss you, Matthew Perry. The joy you brought to so many in your too-short lifetime will live on. I feel so very blessed by every creative moment we shared.”

The show’s main characters closest to Perry have made a shared statement: “We are all so utterly devastated by the loss of Matthew. We were more than just cast mates. We are a family. There is so much to say, but right now we’re going to take a moment to grieve and process this unfathomable loss.”

Donate to SpyGlass

Your donation will support the student journalists of Joplin High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.