Breaking News
  • February 1AMI Days Left: 1
  • February 1New Policy Plan Discussed at Most Recent Board Meeting: Academies on Table, Timeline Planned
  • February 1Auditions Held for JHS Theater Production of Xanadu
  • February 1Don't Forget: 1/2 Day on Valentine's Day
  • February 1In-School Varsity Boys Game Moved to Later in Day
The Student News Site of Joplin High School

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

JHS Student Alex Carson Wins National Film Award, Receives NYU Acceptance

Joplin High School Senior Alexandra Carson continues to amaze with her accomplishments. Carson has a long list of extracurriculars: Varsity Tennis, Key Club, Philanthropic Society, National Honor Society, International Thespian Society, JetHD, and yearbook. Most recently, her short film “My Friend, David” took her all the way to New York City.

Carson has been interested in film since she was 13, believing it started during the COVID-19 lockdown. She said, “…film was both a creative outlet that helped me through the difficult international trauma, as well as a lens through which I could make sense of an ever-changing world.” Carson also said the film and broadcasting classes at JHS helped her realize she wanted to study film seriously. This past summer, she attended the UNCSA Filmmaking Summer Intensive. She spent four weeks in North Carolina writing, directing, and shooting short films with people from all around the world. Carson said, “It was a very formative experience for me; I met so many creative students who inspired me to be the best I can be.” 

This camp inspired Carson to make her short film, “My Friend, David.” The film centers around Carson’s older brother, David, who has autism. It shows their sibling relationship and experiences. Carson says, “Neurodiversity is increasingly becoming a topic of public conversation, and yet, there is still a lot of confusion and misunderstanding regarding the topic. So, I felt that it was necessary for me to share the story of David.”

Her short film was chosen for the 2023 All American High School Film Festival in New York City. This is the biggest student film festival in the world. “My Friend, David” won the Audience Choice Award at the Teen Indie Awards. Additionally, it was nominated for Best Documentary and the Spark Award. 

After graduation, Carson is going to New York University and majoring in film and television. She says her absolute dream is to be a showrunner. Considering everything she’s already done, nothing can stop Carson from accomplishing her dreams.

Donate to SpyGlass

Your donation will support the student journalists of Joplin High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.