Breaking News
  • February 1AMI Days Left: 1
  • February 1New Policy Plan Discussed at Most Recent Board Meeting: Academies on Table, Timeline Planned
  • February 1Auditions Held for JHS Theater Production of Xanadu
  • February 1Don't Forget: 1/2 Day on Valentine's Day
  • February 1In-School Varsity Boys Game Moved to Later in Day
The Student News Site of Joplin High School

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

New Crosswalk Outside JHS Built After Student Suggestion

In the past years, students walking to and from Joplin High School were forced to cross several blocks away from their destination, or across one of the busiest streets in town– 20th Street. On August 19th, a ribbon cutting was held that unveiled a brand new crosswalk near the school. This new feature gives students a safe way to travel to school.

This idea came from current JHS Junior, Christian Cavener, an involved student aiming to make a difference in the community. For example, Cavener is in Student Council, Science National Honor Society, Fellowship of Christian Students, and is the Junior Class President. Cavener first came up with this idea during his freshman year after having to cross 20th Street every day.
Cavener said, “I soon saw how dangerous it was for students to cross this street and, in turn, came up with the idea for a crosswalk.”

20th Street is one of the main roads here in Joplin, creating a hostile environment that teenagers are forced to cross just to get home. Some students will wait and cross safely, but ‌others run out in front of traffic, risking their lives and others.
“The safety of students must be the school’s top priority, and this crosswalk will allow students to now safely cross…” said Cavener.

There is still one piece of the crosswalk waiting to be added– flashing lights. This will add another layer of protection, better alerting cars when kids are crossing.

Cavener says, “It genuinely feels great to know that the crosswalk is finished because I know that students crossing 20th street will no longer have to dodge traffic.”

Cavener was rewarded for his work and was able to cut the ribbon to open the crosswalk.

Donate to SpyGlass

Your donation will support the student journalists of Joplin High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.