Breaking News
  • February 1AMI Days Left: 1
  • February 1New Policy Plan Discussed at Most Recent Board Meeting: Academies on Table, Timeline Planned
  • February 1Auditions Held for JHS Theater Production of Xanadu
  • February 1Don't Forget: 1/2 Day on Valentine's Day
  • February 1In-School Varsity Boys Game Moved to Later in Day
The Student News Site of Joplin High School

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

SpyGlass

A Debate for the Ages: To Pineapple or Not to Pineapple on Pizza

Pineapple on pizza is one of the most common arguments that everyone makes. As per the Doreen’s Pizzeria survey, 46 percent of people like to eat pizza with pineapple topping and the rest of 54 percent do not like to eat their pizza with pineapple topping. The people who don’t like pineapple topping pizza say, “ It is a bad combination to eat sweet and tomato sauce at the same time and it even feels bad to eat fruit as pizza topping.”

In 1962, pineapple topping was discovered by Sam Panopolous in a satellite restaurant in Chatham, Ontario Canada. Sam was a Greek-born Canadian cook and restaurant owner. Sam tried to cook some Chinese dishes which commonly mix sweet and savory flavors.

Accidentally he added pineapple, ham, bacon, and other toppings which created the first Hawaiian pizza. Later he started serving it in the restaurant and it became famous in the local area and local people also like to have a pizza with the pineapple and then he named the pizza a Hawaiin pizza. The name Hawaiian pizza is not directly inspired by the American state of Hawaii. Panopoulos chose the name Hawaiian after the brand of the canned pineapple they were using at the time. Then, it started to become popular in all of Ontario and people started to eat the new pizza. It later became famous all over the world.

After getting so famous all over the world, in some parts of the United States of America, the United Kingdom and Australia, pineapple on pizza started making a difference between the point of view and taste of the people. And people started thinking of traditional Hawaiian pizza. It later started dividing people for the taste they like. Later on in Italy, however, the pairing is widely considered an abomination. It even led to some international disputes between world leaders and diplomatic interventions. In some parts of Italy, people feel that adding pineapple to pizza goes against heritage and tradition, and therefore reject the idea altogether.

In Italy, pineapple pizza is against the heritage, but I actually love pineapple pizza because it makes pizza delicious.

Donate to SpyGlass

Your donation will support the student journalists of Joplin High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.